Friday, March 18, 2011

Four Weeks

I can hardly believe it, but Siesta has been with me for exactly one whole month today.  One month of lessons taught and learned by both of us.  One month of steady progression for both of us, as we hit one milestone after another.  One month of happy tears for me, and I bet if horses could cry Siesta would've let a few fall herself.

This has been the most fascinating training experience of my horse life.  I've started colts.  I've restarted older horses.  I've worked with so-called problem horses and rescue horses.  But never in my life have I been handed an untouched horse and been charged with the task of making it a willing partner.  And that's what Siesta has become.  Everything I ask of her she does, and she does it with her own sense of style and grace.

I'm ready to advertise Siesta for adoption now.  No, she isn't quite ready to go, but she's close enough that prospective adopters can come and meet her, watch me play with her, and spend some time getting to know her.  As of right now, I can walk into her pen, put the halter and lead rope on her, brush her, pick up her front feet, lead her around in a willing, relaxed manner, back her up, and turn her on her forequarters and her haunches.  I can send her out in a circle around me and work with her either on a line or at liberty.  She'll turn both directions, will whoa and face up on request, and will approach me for a neck rub when invited.  Actually, she'll do anything for a neck rub.  She stretches her neck out impossibly far, then stretches her top lip even farther.  It's the cutest thing ever!

So all that's left on my checklist of must-do's is being able to clean all four feet and load in a trailer.  But beyond the requirements, I'll keep working with Siesta until she's adopted to teach her to tie, go for walks outside the arena, and to carry a small saddle.  She has some growing and filling out to do before she'll be ready for real saddle training, but there is plenty of groundwork that can be done now.  I am excited for her future adopter.  What a lucky person that will be, to have a young, smart, sweet and beautiful red-headed mustang to love and call their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment?