Sunday, April 10, 2011

Just a Horse

When does a wild mustang become just a horse?  I'm not really sure.  It wasn't at any of the moments that made me cry: when I first touched her, when I first brushed her, when I took her number tag off, when I snapped the rope on, when I slipped the old halter off and slipped the new one on, when I lead her out of her pen, when I let her play in the arena for the first time, when she came in the barn and ate a flake of hay from the feeder.  It wasn't at any of those moments.  Maybe it was when I tied her and groomed her and she just stood there and soaked it up.  Maybe it was when I put a saddle pad on her back and walked her around.  Maybe it was when I bounced the big blue ball beside her and she didn't flinch.  Maybe it was a combination of all of those moments, coupled with a lot of tender loving care, that made Siesta just a horse.  I don't know, but that's what she is now.  Just a young horse in training that has a good, solid mind, beauty, and lots of athletic potential, plus all of the traits that mustangs are famous for.  What more could you want?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment?