Friday, September 7, 2012

Stardust

I've been enjoying the contact with Belle's hind end, but somehow it just isn't enough for me.  I'd much rather be at the front end, where bonding and training can flourish.  To that end, I've been pumping Belle full of carrots while gradually introducing hand-to-face contact.  It's a slow process (like everything is with Belle) because if I get even a little teenie tiny bit ahead of her comfort zone, she'll pout for days and not allow any new progress.  Yesterday, however, Belle was feeling generous and allowed me to pet her nose, jaw, and cheek while I allowed her to nibble bits of carrot from my hand.  I  played with her halter and the two feet of rope that still dangles from it.  I felt very encouraged!  Today, she let me lay my forearm on the front of her face while I vigorously scratched the loose hair and dust from her beautiful star.  My husband called it "Full Frontal Forehead Friction," which is clever, but I think I'll just call it Stardust.  It was a great moment, and hopefully one that I can build on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment?