Sunday, July 31, 2011

No More Baby Steps

Capri made huge progress this week, and has, I believe, turned the corner and become a happy, relaxed, willing, and eager partner on the journey towards becoming a gentle, civilized horse.  Just the other day, I led a reluctant Capri out of her pen and into the arena.  It took me at least five minutes to convince her that it was a good idea to go exploring and get some exercise, which gave me plenty of time to snap some cute photos.
Once she decided to leave the security of her pen, she relaxed and let me lead her around the arena in both directions, sniffing at everything along the way, and taking in the new and exciting view.  There was no snorting, no prancing, and no spooking at all, just relaxed forward motion, perky ears, and bright eyes.
 I really wanted to see her move, so I removed the rope and let her do what she wanted.  Well, all she wanted was to walk around slowly and continue with her investigation of her new surroundings.

The next day, I let Capri out to play, and play she did.  I didn't have my camera with me, but I had a great time watching her move.  She has a very fancy trot, a huge canter, and a blazing-fast, tail-in-the-air gallop.  We have barrels set up at the end of the arena opposite Capri's pen.  As I watched from the barn, Capri would gallop out of her pen, turn around a barrel, then high-tail it back to her pen, as if she had a 12-year-old kid on her back and they were aiming for a blue ribbon at the local gymkhana show.  It was the cutest thing I've ever seen!  After three or four rounds, she was all tuckered out and stayed in her pen to take a nap.  Barrel racing isn't my thing, but perhaps it's Capri's!

Today was fun and exciting, too, but in a different way.  Capri spent the day turned out in the arena, and when I was done with my barn chores this evening I went in to play with her.  She let me walk right up to her and snap the rope on with no bribe, which was a first.  I rewarded her with lots of scratching, petting and praise.  When she spotted the carrot in my pocket, I rewarded her with that as well.  I reached for the rope halter and slipped it on over her web halter, which is something she learned for the first time yesterday.  I brushed her left side, then moved to the right side, which she has been protecting from me.  She let me pet her all the way to her flank, so I picked up a soft brush and she let me brush her entire right side, including her belly, butt, and legs.  She received lots more praise for this, and she looked just as happy as I felt.  I returned to her left side and went to work on her tail, which is almost tangle-free now.

Capri has been getting used to the rope being on her body and legs this week, but tonight she was really relaxed about it, so I did some heavier desensitizing with it.  I rubbed the rope all over her, let it dangle on her other side, and dropped it in front of her several times.  None of that fazed her, so I used the rope to pick each of her front feet up, and took a little "walk" using the rope on one pastern to gently lift and direct that foot forward, while leading her and asking for normal steps with the other foot.  It's a great way to teach the horse to give me the foot, because they learn that as soon as they give it to me and do with it what I want, they get it back.

Capri is making everything seem easy.  Her disposition is so nice and mellow, and she is so gorgeous and lovable, that working and playing with her is not only rewarding, but relaxing.  I'm having a great time, and I think Capri is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment?